Skill Development Support
Economically disadvantaged women in villages and slums of Mumbai, lack education and employable skills; they are jobless, in search of low-skill jobs. We have conducted baseline survey to identify skills needed in the job-market and has developed training programs for women and adolescent girls to stop them from leaving homes for bigger cities.
"The purpose of education is to make good human beings with skill and expertise... Enlightened human beings can be created by teachers."
- A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
Livelihood Skill Training
Tailoring & Embroidery
We have been providing 3-month training program on Tailoring & Embroidery to women every quarter. After completion of the training, each of the participants is given a free branded sewing machine and tool kit.
To encourage women empowerment, we assist them in establishing their unit, purchase of raw material and sale of finished products. We tie up with garment factories for supply of ready-made garments, Social Welfare Department for supply of school uniforms, WHOLESALE cloth merchants for supply of women’s undergarments and baby clothes. As a result they earn Rs.200-Rs.300 per day. Every women/ girl are able to earn Rs.200 to Rs.300 per day. But they work over time for additional income for giving better facilities to their children.
We request you to donate for sewing machine and tool kits for women who have completed the training program.
How to sponsor vocational training in Tailoring & Embroidery for women:
- Cost of Sewing Machine – Rs.4500/-
- Raw material & tool kit for 3 months training – Rs.3000/-
- Total Donation Amount for one woman – INR 7,500/-
We give training in fashion designing to poor women for them to find employment or set up their own business / micro-enterprise. The course duration is six months with batch size of 20 students; the curriculum includes basic cutting, fashion designing and tailoring. To date we have provided theoretical and practical training in dress making to 41 women in KOKAN NGO.
We would like to expand this program to cover more women; this is possible only with your support. We request you to help us expand our work and support women get employment by donating.
Software Training to Unemployed Youth
There is great demand for computer trained professionals in Mumbai and other cities of Maharashtra. Considering this demand, we have developed a computer education project as part of skills development initiative. We select the poor youth from rural villages, urban slums based on their family income, which should be low or below poverty line to be eligible for this program.
Every financial year we select approx 50 deserving poor youth to impart 6 months’ software training. The course syllabus includes Computer Fundamentals, MS Office, DTP, Internet Concepts and Soft Skills. We mainly concentrate on job oriented courses to create sustainable livelihoods and employment opportunities. During the training we provide study material to all the trainees free of cost.
Since 2009 we have trained 67 youth & girls and provided employment opportunities to 53 youth & girls we provide job placement in private companies. After completion of the computer course, certificates are awarded and course participants are placed in. So far, 45 young people have got opportunity to work in shops and establishments in and around Mumbai.
Appeal to the Donors:
- We request you to support our initiative to provide sustainable livelihoods to educated unemployed youth.
- Donation to train one person in Computer Skills Training for one month – Rs.1000/-
- Sponsor six-month Computer Training for one person – Rs.6000/-
Self Help Group Concept
Self-help group is defined as a “self-governed, peer controlled information group of people with similar socio-economic background and having a desire to collectively perform common purpose.”
SHG are small and economically homogenous affinity groups of rural poor, they are voluntarily coming together for achieving the following.
- To save small amount of money regularly.
- To mutually agree to contribute a common fund.
- To meet their emergency needs.
- To have collective decision making.
- To solve conflicts through collective leadership mutual discussion.
- To provide collateral free loan with terms decided by the group at the driven rates.
Need & Importance
- To mobilize the resources of the individual members for their collective economic development.
- To uplift the living conditions of the poor.
- To create a habit of savings, utilization of local resources.
- To mobilize individual skills for group’s interest.
- To create awareness about right.
- To assist the members financial at the time of need.
- Entrepreneurship development.
- To identify problems, analysing and finding solutions in the groups.
- To act as a media for socio-economic development of village.
- To organize training for skill development.
- To help in recovery of loans.
- To gain mutual understanding, develop trust and self-confidence.
- To build up teamwork.
- To develop leadership qualities.
- We have started KOKAN NGO Kanya women’s self-help groups in Mumbai recently.
- We have started Kubal & Kubal self-help group in Sawantwadi Tehsil.
- We organize training programmes for self-help group in Mumbai every 2nd and 4th Sunday.